Website and Blog Terms and Conditions:
These terms and conditions of use are subject to change at any time and without notice.
Last updated: January 14, 2018
Please read these Terms and Conditions (“Terms”, “Terms and Conditions”) carefully before using the http://188.8.131.52 website (“Service”) operated by Brad Borkan and David Hirzel, co-authors of When Your Life Depends On It: Extreme Decision Making Lessons from the Antarctic (“us”, “we”, “our”, “owner”). Your access to and use of the Service is conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms. These Terms apply to all visitors, users and others who access or use the Service. By accessing or using the Service you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you disagree with any part of the terms then you may not access the Service.
Our Website and Blog
All content provided on our website and blog is for informational purposes only. The owners of this website and blog make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
Photographs and YouTube videos
All photographs on this site have been kindly given to the authors by the people who have taken them. Historic photos shown are out of copyright. Some are sourced from the Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales. Others are from historic books owned by the authors. If you have any concern about a photograph on this site, please get in touch via the Contact Form, and it shall be duly removed.
All YouTube video’s are embedded, in the understanding that user has consented to this under the Terms and Conditions laid out by YouTube, by user enabling the Embed option on their videos, and thus making the material freely available for that option. If any video featured on this site is yours and you do not consent to its usage, please get in touch via the Contact Form, and it shall be duly removed.
Any downloadable file, including but not limited to pdf’s, doc’s, jpeg’s, jpg’s, png’s, mp4’s, mov’s, wmv’s is provided at the user’s own risk. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages resulting from a corrupted or damaged file.
This is a personal blog. Any views or opinions represented in our blogs are personal and belong solely to the blog owners and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in a professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.
Comments are welcome. However, the blog owner reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to
- Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam
- Comments including profanity
- Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive
- Comments containing hate speech, credible threats, or direct attacks on an individual or group
The blog owner is not responsible for the content in comments.
Links To Other Web Sites
Our Service may contain links to third-party web sites or services that are not owned or controlled by us. We have no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party web sites or services. You further acknowledge and agree that we shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such web sites or services. If you provide information to a website to which we link, we are not responsible for its protection and privacy. Always be wary when submitting data to websites. Read the site’s data protection and privacy policies fully.
Our Service may include a newsletter to notify readers of new blog posts and provide occasional updates about our books as well as information about Antarctic history, exploration, the early explorers, decision making and other relevant topics. The newsletter timing may vary.
- The Service will only send you this newsletter if you requested it via the signup form. You can unsubscribe any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in a newsletter email.
- The signup form will ask for your name and email address. The newsletter software is provided by MailChimp, and includes tracking facilities to monitor activity.
- The Service does not share your details with anyone else or any other company, and will not sell your email address to other people or organizations.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us.
We gather and use certain information about individuals in order to provide products and services and to enable certain functions on this website. We also collect information to better understand how visitors use this website and to present timely, relevant information to them.
What data we might gather
We may collect the following information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including email address
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Website usage data
- Other information relevant to client enquiries
- Other information pertaining to special offers and surveys
How we might use this data
Collecting this data helps us understand what you are looking from the company and website, enabling us to deliver improved products and services. Specifically we may use data:
- For our own internal records
- To improve products and services we provide
- To contact you in the response to a specific query
- To customize the website for you
- To send you promotional emails about products, services, offers and other things we think might be relevant to you.
Last updated: May 15, 2018
What are cookies
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
Cookies may be either “persistent” cookies or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
Cookies that we use
Our cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you’d expect
- Save you having to login every time you visit the site
- Remember your settings during and between visits
- Improve the speed/security of the site
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook
- Personalise our site to you to help you get what you need faster
- Continuously improve our website for you
- Make our marketing more efficient (ultimately helping us to offer the service we do at the price we do)
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties
Some third party cookies may be set on your computer by social media websites and advertising networks. These are used to better understand your interests so that they can market more relevant content to you at another time, in much the same way a supermarket loyalty card analyses your shopping bill and will market relevant discount offers to you based on the products you bought. This is called Behavioural Advertising.
What are your choices regarding cookies
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
You can find out further information at:
We use the following suppliers;
Where can your find more information about cookies
You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:
Last updated: May 15, 2018
This website is owned and operated by Brad Borkan and David Hirzel
Our Publishing address is Terra Nova Press, P.O. Box 1808, Pacifica, CA 94044 USA
You can contact us:
- by post, to the postal address given above
- using our website contact form
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org